Skip to main content

Criminal records and Diversion

What is a criminal record?

There is no legal definition of a criminal record, but it is generally a list of offences for which a Court has found you guilty.

What offences show up on a criminal record?

Criminal records are managed by Victoria Police. If you are found guilty of an offence by a Court, this will form part of your criminal record, unless it is a driving offence. Even if you don’t receive a conviction, the offence will still show up on your criminal record. An offence will stay on your record for at least 10 years (5 years if you were under 18 when found guilty). Driving offences only form part of your criminal record if you receive a term of imprisonment.

I agree with my charge but I don’t want to receive a criminal record. What can I do?

Victoria Police and the Court run a program called the ‘Diversion Program’. To participate in this program, you have to accept that you committed the offence. If you successfully complete the Diversion program, the charge will be dismissed and will not show up on your criminal record. The Diversion program is usually only available for first offenders when the offence is not serious. However there are exceptions. Contact our lawyers today for advice as to whether you can participate in the Diversion Program.

Call Goodman Group Lawyers on 1300 923 560 or click here. Goodman Group Lawyers has conveniently located offices in and around Melbourne and Western Victoria.

Contact Form

Please fill all the texts in the fields.